This is a living document that lists conferences, community outreach, and funding sources that past and present lab members recommend.
Conferences & pertinent travel grants
National Shellfisheries Association (NSA) annual meeting. March, USA, location changes annually. Travel grant: NSA Student Endowment Fund
Aquaculture America February, USA, location changes annually.
Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference. April, Washington or British Columbia.
Western Society of Naturalists. October/November, U.S. west coast.
Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) Aquatic Sciences. February/March, international.
Ecological Society of America. August, USA, location changes annually.
American Fisheries Society. Various subchapter meetings.
WA Sea Grant Conference for Shellfish Growers. March, Puget Sound (usually Alderbrook Resort).
Plant and Animal Genome Conference. January, San Diego.
General conference funding for UW Students:
- College of the Environment Student Travel Award: $750 for North America, $1,000 for international. Can only receive once during degree. Post-docs are eligible.
- UW Graduate School: $300 for domestic, $500 for international. SAFS provides matching funds.
- Fisheries Interdisciplinary Network of Students: Funding for SAFS-affiliated graduate students for travel and/or poster printing and publication costs. Awards preferentially given to individuals who have not received it previously and those that are involved in the department.
Community Outreach & Education
- Students Explore Aquatic Sciences: SEAS is an outreach program at UW. The program provides project-based learning activities, free of charge, for K-12 students in the Seattle area.
- Ocean Inquiry Project
Fellowships & Research Grants
The following are sources of funding, and people in the Roberts Lab who previously received them (with year)
Graduate Student Funding
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (NSF GRFP) - 3 years of stipend funding - Deadline: ~October annually - Prospective grad students can apply - Recipients: Laura Spencer (2016), Yaamini Venkataraman (2018)
UW College of the Environment Hall Conservation Genetics Research Fund
- $6,000 to be used towards within one year of award.
- Deadline: ~March annually - Recipients: James Dimond (2016), Laura Spencer (2017), Yaamini Venkataraman (2017)
National Shellfisheries Association research grants: - The Melbourne R. Carriker Student Research Grant, $1,250. Recipients: Laura Spencer (2017) - Michael Castagna Student Grant for Applied Research, $1,250 - George R. Abbe Student Research Grant, $1,250
Libbie H. Hyman Memorial Scholarship for undergrads also - $1,840 towards invertebrate coursework or research at a field station (e.g. Friday Harbor Labs). Laura Spencer (2017)
Other Field Station Research Grants for undergrads also
Grants for study abroad / internships
- NSF Graduate Research Opportunity Worldwide (GROW); only available to NSF GRFP recipients. Recipients: Laura Spencer (2018)
- Australia-Americas PhD Research Internship program. Recipients: Laura Spencer (2018)